Monday, March 24, 2008

You know you're in a funk when...

You know you're in a funk when getting a gift reminds you of the life you're not living and causes you to feel depressed.

Gift = depressed?! Only in my own little fucked up mind.

Explanation: my favorite aunt (Beth to the friends in the know) sent me a very belated Christmas gift. (My family tends to get around to things at their own speed. I somehow missed that gene and grew up a sycophantic people pleaser. OK, not really, but punctuality is key. However, it must be said that my Aunt Beth is above the law. Always)

Anyway, she gave me a Barnes & Noble gift card and my train of thought went something like this...

"Aw, how sweet. There's a ton I've been wanting to read. That'll be something to look forward to. But I don't know when I'll have time. Hmmm....you know, if I don't have time to buy the books, how the hell am I going to find the time to read them? They'll just collect dust on the shelf and my ever-expanding but never shrinking 'to read' list." Which led me to the obvious, "No time for books (or as I like to think of them: life)--what have I become??"

Did I mention a flair for the dramatic also runs in the gene pool?

In the end, my conclusion must be: I'm buying those books, damnit.

3 comments:

Kurtz said...

I have almost finished reading "White Noise" by Don delillo. I´ve seen you like him. If you need some help with the spanish, just whistle!

Gina said...

same boat here, only I am the aunt giving the very belated gift cards, and a B and N gift card would help get my mind off what I already have and onto 'THE ONE' I'm really gonna finish this time! i keep my books less than half read, and let em gather dust as colorful decorations since the bookshelves are stark white. It's nice to have something to look forward to, besides...

I know a man who reads EVERYTHING he buys and then garage sales em.

Gina said...

same boat here, only I am the aunt giving the very belated gift cards, and a B and N gift card would help get my mind off what I already have and onto 'THE ONE' I'm really gonna finish this time! i keep my books less than half read, and let em gather dust as colorful decorations since the bookshelves are stark white. It's nice to have something to look forward to, besides...

I know a man who reads EVERYTHING he buys and then garage sales em.