Thursday, June 19, 2008

Weight and waffle machines

No matter how hard I try, I can’t stop metaphorically picking scabs – reading old letters, looking at photos, thinking about how I might’ve limited things by choosing one course over another.

No choice is ever clean and I am an idealist, so I feel burned by everything. Life is a cold day when the very breath I take burns my chest as it’s inhaled, lung-heavy. Melodrama, I know, but this is my curse: I can’t stop looking back.

The moment is forever elusive. When today passes, I will long for it, though I can’t for the life of me feel good where I stand, this minute.

And even though experience continues to persistently chip away at my edges, I still remain stubbornly angular. I am not soft, and that makes my life more difficult than it has to be quite often.

1 comment:

Gina said...

oh we all do that, don't we. Too hard on ourselves for the choices we've made; punishing ourselves for not being where someone else is in their lives. Wondering if things would be 'better' had we done something different. Had more direction or listened to someone who knew better. But really, you are the same person, no matter what paths you've taken. Same responses. Maybe older and wiser for everytthi you've been through. It's you. That's life.

Let it go. Cah-yote. Try putting it all into God's hands and rest your mind. There are good things to come.